Cube 6 C. bread and spread evenly in a greased 9" x 13" pan.
Sprinkle bread with 1/2-3/4 C. golden raisins
- 1 C. granulated sugar
- 8 large beaten eggs
- 3.5 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 T rum, hazelnut liquor, or similar
- Pour over cubed bread.
- Now, mix
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted piñones, or other tasty nut
- Sprinkle and crumble this nut mixture on top of the bread mixture.
- Bake at 350 F 35-45 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or brandy sauce (beat together 1 C. sugar, 1/2 C. melted butter, 1 egg, and 2 t. vanilla; stir over medium heat until sugar melts; add 1/4 C. brandy and stir well).
- Eat leftovers warm or cold. :-)